Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day




I have had a really busy couple of weeks and have not taken the time to write.  As the Vice-Commander of our local American Legion Post I could not let this Memorial Day totally fade from memory without honoring those who have served and gone Home to their final rest.  It matters not if they gave their lives in the service of their country or served proudly and died at peace 50 years later.  They all left their families to serve and protect this country and its people. Since the Revolutionary War (1775) to Operation Freedom (2011) including every war, conflict, and operation there have been 1,309,000 men and women have lost their lives while serving in the United States military.  This does not include POW's and MIA's.

This year I had the privilege, as part of our Post's Honor Guard, to set the POW/MIA Remembrance table during our Memorial Day Picnic Ceremony.  For those of you who might not know about this table to honor those still missing or captives, I will describe the table and the symbolism of each object that is placed upon it.

There is a small table set for one with an empty chair because he or she  is alone and is not here.  On the table is a white tablecloth as a sign of the purity of their intentions to serve and protect their country.  A red rose in a vase represents the blood they may have shed in sacrifice of the U.S.A, as well as, reminding us of the family and friends that keep faith until their return.  The red ribbon on the vase is like the red ribbons worn by those who demand a proper account of all POW/MIA's.  On a plate is a slice of lemon symbolic of their bitter fate and some salt for the countless tears shed by the families.  They cannot toast or celebrate with us so the wine glass is upside-down.  The candle is the sign of hope that they will return home, away from their captors, to a grateful nation.  Finally, there is an American flag to remind us that many of them may never return and have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

I have seen this table at various American Legion functions but never truly understood its significance until I participated in this POW/MIA Remembrance Service and was responsible for setting the table.  I suddenly remembered those I'd known who did not come back, the former POW's I knew while serving in the Air Force and the heartbreak, hope and strength I saw in the eyes of the wives who did not know what happened to their husbands.  It was a humbling and emotional experience.  I know I will never look at that table as I had before.  It is important....They are important....I will remember....

That's it from The River's Bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment